Monday, August 1, 2011

Hugh Jackman!






This posting is a little late, okay, a lot late! We saw Hugh Jackman perform his new one man show at the Curran Theatre this past May. It was a Friday night, May 13th, lucky Friday the 13th!! My friend who works in the ticketing department put us in the best seats in the house - front row, pit seats, right by the stairs!










When Mr. Jackman first came out he was actually talking to me! Asked me how I was doing and told me tonight is just like Oprah -ask me anything! At one point he sat on the stairs and sings 'Tenterfield Saddler' and the man is like 2 feet from me! I felt like he singing to me. His show was outstanding! Song, dance, and some incredible humor when he emerges in the second level box seats in his "Boy From Oz" character, Peter Allen, and sings I Go To Rio and a few other songs. He was in rare form, prancing around with a pink boa and his shirt half opened and his tight pants. A great view from the front seats! Ha Ha! Another highlight of performance was when he sang 'Over the Rainbow' followed by two guys from Australia coming up the aisles, each playing the didgeridoo. His back up singers were amazing and did a song together while he was transforming into Peter Allen. One of the girls was in 'Rent' on Broadway and the other has played Glinda in 'Wicked'.
I can't remember every song he sang, and some I don't even know the names of, but here's what I can remember:
He opened with 'Oh What a Beautiful Morning' from "Oklahoma"
His second song was 'One Night Only'
Fever
I Go To Rio
A Little Less Conversation/Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Over The Rainbow
Soliloquy (from 'Carousel')
Medley: Jailhouse Rock, Stayin' Alive and I've Had The Time of my Life
Teterfield Saddler
Over the Rainbow
Don't Cry Out Loud
As Time Goes By
Can You Feel the Love Tonite
He did 'Rock Island' from "Music Man" and then did the "whatdaya talk" part as a rap afterwords, which was great fun
Another song from 'Boy from Oz', but I don't remember which one!
Mack the Knife (next to last)
Once Before I Go (closing)

A co-worker asked me if he took his shirt off, no he did not. However, from our seats we could see him changing his shirt in the wings!! Like I said, the best seats in the house!

No comments: