Sunday, November 23, 2008

San Francisco: I love you, I hate you, I love you, I hate you...


One thing really became clear to me this week. I have a definite Love/Hate relationship with San Francisco. Ah, the waterfront, the convenience, the entertainment possibilities, happy hour with friends, so many dining options no matter if I'm in my ripped jeans or Calvin Kelin suit and the best part, choose your mode of transportation: BART, Muni, taxi or walking - you can be anywhere in the City in 15 minutes! Options, options, options! Ugh, the filth, the noise, the beggars, the stench. Parking. I nearly went out of my mind this week looking for parking. It actually took me an hour and 15 minutes one evening to find a parking spot 7 blocks away. Yes, I know I can go to a garage, but, like many people, I can't afford $15 to $20 a night for parking. Don't even think about trying to sleep without ear plugs. Sirens, honking, the cable car, the people upstairs, down the hall, even in the next building, because it is after all San Francisco, the buildings are about a centimeter apart, with walls as thick. Close the window in the bathroom or half a dozen neighbors can watch you shower - which, could be a good thing if it's the right neighbor I suppose.

As I write this, I realize I have a Love/Hate relationship with the suburbs. Peace, quiet, more than one room to live in, a driveway and a garage, backyard, no piss on my doorway and nobody begging me for my hard earned change, which I don't have enough of for myself, let alone to hand out. No happy hour, everyone lives too far away, don't see friends very often, oh it's such a trek to get home if we see a show in the City and we don't get home til Midnight or later, so it's gotta be a weekend matinee, spend an hour on Hwy 4 to go 10 miles, it's 30 to 45 minutes to BART.

So there you have it. The City, the Suburbs. It's a tie. My choice: a tropical island. In the meantime, if you're in the city and the noise is getting to you...step out the door, it's happy hour, everywhere, have a drink!

No comments: