Saturday, September 13, 2008

Classic Crystal


My 4th Crystal Gayle concert did not disappoint. The first two times I saw her I was 15 years old, in Tahoe. Then I saw her in 2000 in Reno. Last night I saw her perform at the beautiful Gallo Center in Modesto. Crystal still performs her classic songs with that soothing voice that brought her to the top of the charts with such hits as "Why Have You Left The One You Left Me For", "River Road" and the timeless classic, "When I Dream". I've noticed as the years go on, she gets a little more jazzy, which works with the format of her show. Her sax/horn player 'Blue Jay' is amazing. Her sister Peggy Sue, while hard to understand when singing, continues to provide the comic relief of the evening. Last time I saw her show, she signed autographs and posed for pictures. The Gallo Center holds over 1200, so I knew she wouldn't do so this time, and left my camera at home. WRONG! While the hundreds of concert attendees filtered out, I got in line to purchase a CD I didn't know about when it first came out, and heard someone say they're trying to figure out her signing autographs now. So I stayed. She did come out for photos and autographs. By this time nearly everyone was gone, so there wasn't a wait at all and I got the cd signed. On a footnote, Colin Raye opened the show. I of course, had heard of Raye, but was not at all familiar with him - he put on a good show. He has lots of energy. I expect this concert is the final performance in the "Sprummer" of music. It was a classic end to my self proclaimed music series.

No comments: