Sunday, August 24, 2008

Dolly, Delightful!


It almost seems silly to write a post now, but I do want to mention that the 'Sprummer of Music' continued with Dolly Parton at the Greek Theatre on Tuesday, August 5th. The first surprise was an ugrade from our lawn seats to an actual seat, much closer! There was no opening act, just slightly more than two hours of pure Dolly! She sang a wonderful combination of songs from the new CD and Dolly standards. My only Dolly-Downer was when she sang 'Little Sparrow', from her bluegrass stint - a song that seemed to go on and on. I wish she would have replaced it with 'Think About Love' or 'Potential New Boyfriend'. Dolly dazzled in her high-high heels, played a sparkling violin and other instruments that a hunky "hillbilly" in overalls brought to her as needed, she told jokes as good as any comedienne, and of course, gave the obligatory, you are the best audience that I'm sure they all hear! Dolly closed the first half with a fantastic gospel medley that included Neil Diamond's 'Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show', I've always loved her version. Dolly opened the second half, in a red dress, with another favorite of mine, 'Baby I'm Burnin''. One could tell the night was coming to an end when 'Here You Come Again', '9 to 5', 'Islands in the Stream' and of course, 'I Will Always Love You' rounded out the set. Dolly closed with 'Jesus and Gravity'. I wish I could remember all the songs she performed, but she also included: 'Backwoods Barbie', 'Shinola', 'Drives Me Crazy', 'Better Get To Livin', 'Coat of Many Colors', and 'Why'd You Come in Here Lookin' Like That'.

No comments: